Sometimes I work on other stuff besides SBS...yeah I know I'm not comfortable with it but I do my best! Recently a client had a problem where their paramater query in Access wouldn't show up when they wanted to do a mail merge in Word (all version 2003). It only showed the tables not the queries. A parameter query allows you to narrow your table information down to restrictions such as give me all membership dates that begin after November 1st but before November 30th.
So after some digging here's what you need to do. Hope it helps!
Method 1: Use the parameter query as the data source
You can create a Word 2003 Mail Merge document by using an Access 2003 parameter query in the Word 2003 environment. You can use the parameter query as the data source of the Word 2003 Mail Merge process. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Create a Word 2003 document or open a Word 2003 document.
2. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.
3. Click to select the Confirm conversion at Open check box, and then click OK.
4. On the Tools menu, point to Letters and Mailings, and then click Mail Merge.
5. In the right pane, click the document type that you want to create in the Select document type list box, and then click Next: Starting document.
6. In the Select starting document list box, click the document that you want to use.Note For any option other than Use the current document, you must select the appropriate template or the appropriate existing document before you continue.
7. Click Next: Select recipients.
8. In the Select recipients list box, click Use an existing list, and then click Browse.
9. Locate the Access 2003 database that contains the parameter query that you want to use as your data source. Open this Access 2003 database.
10. In the Confirm Data Source dialog box, click MS Access Databases via DDE (*.mdb;*.mde), and then click OK.
11. In the Microsoft Access dialog box, click the parameter query on the Queries tab that you want to use as the data source, and then click OK.The Enter Parameter Value dialog box appears.Note If the Enter Parameter Value dialog box does not appear, press ALT+TAB one time. If Word 2003 does not respond, press ALT+TAB one time.
12. In the Enter Parameter Value dialog box, enter the parameter value that you want to use, and then click OK.
13. In the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box, click OK.Note If the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box does not appear, press ALT+TAB one time.
14. Complete the Word 2003 Mail Merge process.